Today, thanks to the media, the central district of the city of Kutna Hora in the Czech Republic - Siedlec, is visited by more than 250 thousand people every year to visit museum of bones.
The church, which is next to the museum, was originally part of the Cistercian Abbey in Siedlce. The church is very old, it was built in the 14th century. It consists of two chapels, which are located one above the other.
According to legend, one of the abbots of Siedlec went on a diplomatic visit to Jerusalem, from where he brought a handful of land from the grave of Jesus Christ. He scattered this land in a cemetery near the monastery, which later became known as the Holy Field. This news spread throughout the Czech Republic. People began to bury their loved ones only in this cemetery, whose territory eventually became about 4 hectares. After the plague in 1318, 30,000 people were buried here. Another 10,000 people were taken to the cemetery during the Hussite Wars.
Previously, they even tried to build a tobacco factory on this site, but this never happened. Nowadays, there are two cathedrals here - the Cathedral of the Virgin Mary and the Cathedral of All Saints, in which the church storage is located. After the construction of the Cathedral of All Saints, they decided to close the cemetery at the monastery. All the bones that were removed fell in a pile in the chapel, which was in the basement of the cathedral.
These bones would have continued to lie, if not for the monk, who in 1511 began to restore order here, so to speak. History, unfortunately, did not retain his name. It is only known that he saw poorly, was practically blind. He sorted the bones, separating them from each other. So he got 6 pyramids. At this, restoring order in the chapel ended before the 18th century.
After these lands passed into the possession of Prince Schwarzenberg, the famous woodcarver Frantishku Rint was instructed to arrange and arrange the remains of the bones. Rint approached the matter with enthusiasm, and created a truly eerie place.
In the very central part of the church there are 4 rows, on which are located skulls with crossbones. Earlier, these ranks were decorated with golden cupids, but subsequently they were abolished - they were too cheerful and cheerful.
Looking up, visitors will see huge chandelier, the creation of which used ALL human bones. The chandelier is very impressive. From her in different directions garlands stretch, as you probably already guessed, also made of bones.
In each corner of the church is a mound of bones in the form of a giant bell. In each bell there is a hole, looking into which, it seems that inside there is an incredibly large number of skulls.
Well, to the left of the entrance is the coat of arms of the Schwarzenberg family, which is also lined with bones. It consists of a cross, a shield, a crown and a skeleton of a crow sitting on a skull, which seemed to have pecked their eyes off the skull. Raven was included in the symbolism of the coat of arms after someone from the Schwarzenberg family became famous for having won the battle against the Turks.
The museum of bones is always twilight, even during the day, so this place is not for the faint of heart. The total number of bones in the museum is more than 40 thousand.